Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: This is getting out of hand

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, I started with 511s on A7s, then switched to 805s on 210s and swapped the 805s for a new pair of 511s. What I wanted to do was use the 805s for those wonderful mids until they started beaming too much, then XO to an 811, but even in the large room I had at the time the phasing issues would be way too unacceptable to me so compromised with 511s.

    With today's digital delay it would be a 'piece o' cake', but being older n' wiser I would build a 300Hz Unity concept instead.

    GM

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That makes sense. I am basically a hyper person so I do stuff when I am lisening to music so souind staging is not really big on my list. I like to be surrounded by the music. Just as long as it is clean. CHeers.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    to add to that, the one situation when my system soundstages with unbelibable accuricy is watching movies. I only run my DVD through the stereo but the pin point accuricy is amazing. Cheers.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member armandh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    102
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    at my age with the hearing going I have long since passed the point where a noticeable improvement in sound can be had at a reasonable price, if at all.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Older guy and GM. The ear drum does harden as we age but we can still pretend.

    GM, I found out the problem. I was listening to a number of CDs and kept coming back to the one that "Shreeked" As I was listening, my wife came up and said something to me from about three feet away. I saw her lips move but could not hear her words. I told her to speak up and she could not her me. After turning the volume down two notches, I still could not hear her. The moral of the story is that I am listening at a level that is going to cause ear damage and that one CD just puts it over the edge of comfort and reasonableness for my ears. Cheers.

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Oooh, not good if you're causing your ears to distort this bad! This is a real problem with low distortion systems, we tend to listen at a level just below where the distortion becomes objectionable, with little/no regard for what the SPL is.

    GM

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The interesting thing is that most people who are into this hobby have VERY good hearing in the first place and the thing they love is distroying what brought them to it in the first place. Cheers and turn it down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.